Wednesday 6 February 2013

Ed Ruscha – Word Paintings




Ruscha is an American artist who worked with a variety of medias including painting, printing, photography and illustration around the Pop Art movement.  His art training was based around commercial photography which introduced his interest in typography and using words within images.  His first works included oil paintings with comic writing layered over the top referring to popular culture.  He once spoke about where his phases come from: “Well, they just occur to me; sometimes people say them and I write down and then I paint them. Sometimes I use a dictionary.” I find this really interesting, and so far have worked using images first and then finding words to overlay them, however I am now thinking about starting with words then finding images after and see what a different effect this has on the work outcome. Ruscha has always used different means to add words onto his images, for example pouring liquid over a flat monochromatic surface, this is something I would have really liked to have tried in my project, bringing in more of an ‘art’ factor into my work however at this point it is not a path I could take with the time scale I have but will hopefully something I can practice in the future. I also like the way Ruscha makes connections to his words outside of his images, for example a project in which he presented seven different words that rhymed, and in a separate project he did a series of images with “dirty” and inviting phrases. This sort of play on words it what attracted my attention to his works. However there is an ongoing theme throughout his work, even if it is sometimes not so obvious, Rushca is constantly asking questions about the impact urban life has on society. 






No comments:

Post a Comment